Dr. Solomon Dagnachew Seyoum is since mid 2011 a lecturer in urban drainage and sewerage at the department of Environmental Engineering and Water Technology of IHE Delft Institute for Water Education. Solomon has more than 15 years of research and professional experience. He has a combined background in sanitary engineering, water resources engineering and hydroinformatics.
Prior to joining IHE Delft Solomon worked for government and consultancy firms in Ethiopia for which he was involved in the study, design, modelling and management of urban drainage, water supply, stormwater and wastewater systems.
Solomon obtained his MSc degree in hydroinformatics in 2005. He carried out his MSc thesis research for Delft Hydraulics in the HarmonIT project and developed a generic software tool for Open Modelling Interface (OpenMI) compliant Ensemble Kalman Filtering. After his MSc Solomon went back to Ethiopia and extended his professional career in water resources modelling projects.
Solomon returned back to IHE Delft in June 2007 to start his PhD research in urban water systems modelling and successfully defended his PhD thesis in March 2013 entitled “Framework for Dynamic Modelling of Urban Floods at Different Resolutions” at the Delft University of Technology. The thesis describes a way for improving accuracies of coarse grid two-dimensional urban flood models by taking into account the information that can be extracted from high resolution topographic data.
Next to his PhD research Solomon participated in various research and capacity building projects including the SWITCH project, which was a major research partnership project funded by the European Commission which looked towards water management in the 'city of the future' as well as an urban flood modelling project on the island of Sint Maarten.
Dr. Seyoum’s research interests include urban flood modelling, optimization of urban drainage and water supply distribution networks, development and application of advanced tools for simulation, design and management of water systems and urban water infrastructure asset management.
- S.D. Seyoum, Z. Vojinovic, R.K. Price, and S. Weesakul (2012), “A Coupled 1D and Non-Inertia 2D Flood Inundation Model for Simulation of Urban Flooding”, ASCE Journal of Hydraulic Engineering 138(1).23-34 (IF:1.48 ).
- Vojinovic, Z., Seyoum S., Mawalwaka M., Fikri A., (2011), “Effect of Model Schematization, Geometry and Paraameter Values on Urban flood Modelling”, Water Science and Technology 63(3), 462-467.
- Vojinovic, Z., Seyoum, S., Salum, M.H., Price, R.K., Fikri, A.F. and Abebe, Y., (2012),” Modelling floods in urban areas and representation of buildings with a method based on adjusted conveyance and storage characteristics”, Journal of Hydroinformatics (IF:1.20), IWA Publishing, In Press, doi:10.2166/hydro.2012.181.
- Vojinovic , Z., Sahlu, S., Torres, A.S., Seyoum, S., Anvarifar, F., Matungulu, H., Barreto, W., Savic, D. and Kapelan, K., (2013),” Multi-objective robust rehabilitation of urban drainage systems under uncertainties”, Journal of Hydroinformatics , IWA Publishing, In review.
- Z. Vojinovic, S.D. Seyoum, R. Price, M. Salum, A. Fikri and Y. Abebe (2012), Terrain data processing and treatment of different features for urban flood modelling, Hydroinformatics conference, 2012, July14-18 , Hamburg , Germany.
- O. Andino, A. Pathirana, S.D. Seyoum and D. Brdjanovic (2012) “Development and application of an optimization tool for urban drainage network design under uncertainty”, 9th International Conference on Urban Drainage Modelling, Belgrade, Serbia, September 3-7.
- Hodzic A., Vojinovic Z., Seyoum S.D., Pathirana A., Meijer S.C.F., and Brdjanovic D. (2011), “Model-based evaluation of the urban wastewater infrastructure reconstruction options in a developing country: Case study Sarajevo in Bosnia and Herzegovina”. 2nd IWA Development Congress, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Seyoum S., Vojinovic Z. and Price, R., 2010, Urban Pluvial Flood Modeling: Development and Application, 9th International Conference on Hydroinformatics 2010, Tianjin, China September 7-11.
- Seyoum S., Vojinovic Z. and Price, R., 2009, Integrated Modelling of Urban Wastewater Systems, 8th International Conference on Urban Drainage Modelling, Tokyo, Japan September 7-12.
- Seyoum S. and Vojinovic Z., 2008, Integrated Urban Water Systems Meodelling with a Simplified Surrogate Modular Approach, 11th International Conference on Urban Drainage, Edinburgh, Scotland, August 31-Septemeber 5.