Refresher courses take place every year in different continents with the financial support of Nuffic to contribute to the institutional development of the alumni's employing organizations and prolong the impact of the original training. The courses are open to alumni who have studied in the Netherlands with NFP scholarships and are living in countries included in the Nuffic country list. The courses are evaluated by alumni as a very important experience to increase their knowledge as well as to reinforce their professional network.
The refresher courses, which are typically one week long, consist of interactive lectures, role-plays, group discussions, field trips, country presentations by participants, social events, and a final ceremony where certificates of attendance are awarded. During the courses the participants attended classes as well as have time to share their own professional experiences and networking.
Objectives of the courses:
Facilitating exchanges of experiences between alumni from different countries facing similar issues and problems in their professional capacities;
Enhancing and strengthening relationships among these alumni, and between them and IHE Delft;
Adapting and improving the approaches and contents of courses held at IHE Delft on the basis of the experiences and practices of professionals working in developing countries; and
Exploring opportunities for establishing and strengthening local and regional knowledge centres that are part of regional and global networks for capacity building in the water, environment and infrastructure sectors.
Refresher Courses 2018
Last February Nuffic launched the new OKP programme that includes alumni activities, the Refresher Courses being one of them.
The call for proposals will be opened by Nuffic after August 2018. At the moment IHE Delft has no Nuffic supported Refresher Courses planned, for the coming months.
Refresher Courses held in 2017
- Course: Managing Solid Waste with emphasis on solid household organics
Location: Mumbai, India
Coordinator: Dr. Maarten Siebel & Dr. E. van Hullebush
Counterpart: Five Elements Environment Ventures PvT. Ltd., FEEV, & Indian Institute of Technology, JSS Academy of Technology Edu IIT/JSS Noida
Open to: Alumni from Asia and West Africa
Read article here
- Course: Urban and Rural polder development in coastal areas
Location: Yangon, Myanmar
Coordinator: Dr. F. Suryadi
Counterpart: Irrigation and Water Utilization management Department, IWUMD & Myanmar Maritime University, MMU
Read article here
- Course: Hydrological tools for water management in food production
Location: Managua, Nicaragua
Coordinator: Dr. Gerald Corzo Perez
Counterpart: Institute of Geology and Geophysics, UNAN ManaguaOpen to: Alumni from Latin America and Caribbean region
Read article here
- Course: Water resources management and climate change: balancing the extremes 'Food-Water Scarcity-Floods"
Location: La Havana & Varadero - Cuba
Coordinator: Dr. Carlos Lopez Vazquez & Dr. Hector Garcia
Counterpart: Institute para la Investigacion de la Industria Alimentaria, IIIA & Havana Technical University ‘Jose Antonio Echeverria’, CUJAE
Read article here
- Course: Towards sustainable Intensification of Agriculture for Food Security
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Coordinator: Dr. Poolad Karimi
Counterpart: Jomo Kenyatta, University of Agriculture and Technology & WaterHealth
The Netherlands Government has made full fellowships for a maximum of 20 participants available for each refresher course.
These fellowships include:
- air travel (economy class) from the nearest international airport in the candidate’s home country to the refresher course country and vice versa. Please note that travel costs made to reach the airport in your home country will not be reimbursed,
- transfer from the airport to hotel and vice versa. No other travel costs are refunded,
- health insurance for international participants,
- accommodation, including meals, for the duration of the course, up to a maximum of 15 days in total, depending on the date of arrival in and departure from the hosting country,
- direct visa costs (no related costs, such as travel costs to the Embassy or hotel stay are refunded). The visa costs can only be reimbursed when the original receipts are handed in.
NFP Fellowships Eligibility
- You can apply for a fellowship if you fit the following criteria. You:
- are a national of, and work and live in one of the current African NFP countries, for refresher courses held in Africa
- are a national of, and work and live in one of the current Asian NFP countries, for refresher course held in Asia
- are a national of, and work and live in one of the current Asian and African NFP countries, for refresher course held in India
- are a national of, and work and live in one of the current Latin American or Caribbean countries, for the refresher course in Cuba and Nicaragua
- received your Postgraduate Diploma course, Master of Engineering, Master of Science, PhD degree or a short course certificate at IHE Delft or a Dutch Institution and
- graduated before or in 2015, and
- studied on an NFP fellowship, and
- have not attended any IHE Delft refresher course or IHE Delft short course on an NFP fellowship since 31 December 2015 and
- have submitted a correct and complete employer statement.
Self Paying Participants
The courses are open to a limited number of self-paying participants who have the required background and work experience, and who are not necessarily alumni. The tuition fee for one course is Euro 230, to be paid in advance. This tuition fee covers registration, tuition, and fieldtrips (if applicable). All other costs such as meals, hotel and travel costs are borne by the participant.
More details can be provided upon request by contacting .